Summary: The Para Educator will work closely with the Education Team to ensure the safety and well-being of the students while participating in the education program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
The Para Educator functions as part of the treatment team and is responsible for assisting the educators and supervision of students well in school.
- The Para Educator will provide supported instruction and assessment to students as outlined/assigned by the teacher in support of the assigned academic casework or Individual Education Plan (IEP) needs.
- Provide supportive supervision and participation to class activities including physical education, art, etc.
- Assist with “wake-up” duties to the assigned campus dormitory.
- Assist with behavioral interventions within the classroom as needed.
- Assist with substitute lessons as assigned by the teacher and/or Asst. Director of Operations as needed.
- Maintain appropriate documentation that may be assigned by the supervisor such as attendance, Service Plan Logs, etc.
- Assist with monitoring and supervising transitional times, lunch, and school ending activities for student accountability.
- Assisting with community based activities and appointments related to students needs as assigned.
- Provide assistance as requested by the Asst. Director of Operations or Education Program Coordinator in daily routines.
- Participation in mandated and assigned professional trainings offered in the program.
- Provide transportation with school vehicle for students/teacher activities as needed.
- Participate in student meetings (such as IEP’s and ITP’s) as assigned by the Academic & Student Support Director or Asst. Director of Operations.
- Maintain certification in CPR/ First-Aid, TCI and participate in all scheduled staff trainings/ meetings.
- Maintain students’ confidentiality at all times, report all pertinent information to supervisor.
- Pursue appropriate channels of communication.
- Understand the administrative structure, chain of command and program philosophy of VPI.
- Accurately complete their timecard and it’s approval.
- Appropriately represent VPI to the community, students’ parents and outside agencies.
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports To: Education Coordinator and Academic Director
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- 21 years of age
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED. Would Prefer Associates Degree or Higher.
- Prefer two years’ experience interacting with children/youth. This may include, but is not restricted to camp counselor, coach, babysitting
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience working with disturbed adolescents.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme heat or cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.